People who are exploring machine learning as a field to shift their careers or people who are just curious of why there is such a buzz of machine learning all over places often has one burning question in their mind – what all possible things can one achieve with machine learning. Well the short answer is – the possibility is endless and one’s creativity is the only limit. In this post we will motivate beginners with machine learning examples which are in popular use in today’s world
In the end we will also look at few areas where machine learning is being used in the most creative and fun ways possible.
We wont indulge in the technical aspects of machine learning and keep it just a simple read for beginners.
Machine Learning is integral part of our daily life
Yes, machine learning is influencing our day to day life and perhaps many people are not even aware of this. The key reason of this penetration is Google. Google is an integral part of one’s life and people are knowingly or unknowingly getting driven by machine learning. Let us have a look at few examples –
- Google search engine, now processes over 40,000 searches per seconds on average and billion of searches daily and yet throws relevant search results within seconds. These numbers are mind boggling in itself.
- Did you ever freaked out by how google gives such accurate autocomplete prompts in search box as if it is reading our mind about search context.
- How the hell, google maps predicts which route will be faster and shows such an accurate ETA of reaching destination.
- Ever noticed that spam folder in your gmail and did you ever open it to see so many spam mails indeed.
- And the wonderful google translator, that is becoming better and better with time.
- Youtube suggestions, which keeps people hooked to youtube for endless hours.
Yes, I think you are getting my point now, it is the machine learning that is behind all these magic of Google.
Now let us turn our head to other area – ever realized how Amazon or Netflix are so good in recommending you what you may like, yes that is act of machine learning.
Machine learning has also entered your smartphones – next time when you unlock your smartphone with face recognition feature do remember this point or the way camera detects the face while taking photos, its all machine learning at play.
And my personal favorite is “Friends you may know” feature by Facebook – I met a person the other day and the next day his name started coming in my friend recommendation, this happens quite often and always freaks the hell out of me.
Machine Learning in other industrial uses
Now that we have made you realize how machine learning is influencing your regular life so closely, let us now understand some other popular use cases for which industries are adopting machine learning across world.
- Banks are using machine learning to detect frauds, pass loans, maintain investment portfolios.
- Hospitals are using machine learning to detect and diagnose diseases with more accuracy than actual doctors.
- Companies are running ad campaigns targeted to specific customer segments using machine learning
- Companies are now managing their supply chain and inventory control using machine learning.
- Enterprise chat bots are now the next big things, with companies adopting them to interface with customers
- Online retailers are building their recommendation system with more accuracy than before using latest advancements in machine learning.
- Self Driving cars is the latest fascination that has caught imaginations of companies like Google, Uber, Tesla who are investing heavily into this future vision using next generation machine learning technology
These are just few of the popular use cases and is just a tip of iceberg. As I told at the very beginning, machine learning can be used in the most creatives ways to solve social, economical and business problems. The possibility is just endless.
Machine Learning – The Artist
This is the most coolest part- with so much advancements in Deep Learning a subset field with machine learning things are getting to next level of reality. Now we are able to produce artwork using machine learning. These are some of the astonishing artworks.
Deep Dream is a program written by Google that enhances the picture to produce images that looks dream like tipsy or hallucinating.
Fake Face Generation
Yes, you heard it right. The beautiful model looking faces below does not exist and has been generated by a machine learning’s imagination.
Neural Style Transfer
Neural style transfer is a cool technique in which a style of a image or artwork is transferred to another image.
The below music was generated by a machine learning system but after listening to it there is no reason to believe that it was not generated by human !!
This machine learning read a lot of literature of Shakespeare and then produced a piece of text that looked not only meaningful but also Shakespearean
The Film Writer
Sunspring is movie whose screenplay was written by a machine who was fed with hundred of Sci fi movie scripts. And it then wrote a story which was filmed by moviemaker Oscar Sharpe.
Machine Learning – The Gamer
Yes, Machine Learning is turning computers into gamers who are not only playing and winning Atari games for fun but are also beating humans in some of the games that seemed like impossible feat few years back.
Playing Atari Games
This is just one of many examples where computer learns to play an Atari game using machine learning.
This is a very fun video in which we can actually see what is going on inside machine learning model’s mind while it learns to play Mario. Check it out –
Defeating human in Jeopardy game show
In 2011, IBM’s machine learning system Watson participated in a popular TV game show Jeopardy – competed and defeated world’s best Jeopardy human champions.
Defeating Human in game of Go
In 2016, Deepmind’s machine learning system AlphaGo played Go with Lee Sudol (the best player and champion of Go) and defeated him. This feat is considered to be one of the greatest achievements in field of machine learning.
Machine Learning – The Robots
This is the ultimate goal of machine learning, to build a self aware artificial intelligence encapsulated inside a robot. We are still quite far to reach there, but still the progress and research is very impressive to say the least. Here are few examples.
MIT is very well known for their investments in robotics research. Over the year they have built so many robot prototype. This is video of one of their prototype – Cheetah and this will also leave you in awe.
Meet Sophia, a humanoid robot who became the first robot to be granted a country citizenship (by Saudi Arabia) shows facial expressions, strike conversations, follows faces, makes eye contacts and gives opinions – and its needless to say it is all machine learning at the very core of it.
In The End…
As I told earlier, all things covered here are just a tip of iceberg and exact application of machine learning is very huge.
I hope, this was a good read for you as beginner to understand various applications of machine learning and a great motivation to pick up machine learning yourself. Remember once again – with machine learning, the creative possibilities are limitless.
Before I end, let me leave you with another interesting link of some cool machine learning projects submitted at Experiment with Google platform to keep you more amazed with this world of machine learning.